Wednesday 9 May 2012

Familiar locations - a photographers challenge

With so many varied landscapes in the British Isles why would anyone choose to continually photograph in a very familair location? Does familiarity breed contempt or is there a real advantage to knowing an area like the back of your hand?

For the last two years I have been making a photographic study of a one mile stretch of the River Deben in Suffolk. It is an area that I explore on a daily basis and one which I have come to know really well. I am familiar with every twist and turn in the river, with every tree and natural feature and with the way in which the area is used by wildlife and humans. I believe that the familiarity that I have with the location and the knowledge that I have gained about the varous habitats has really helped my photography.

In the two years that I have been photographing this short stretch of the Deben I have tried to create as many different images as I can. Using the seasons, time of day and changes in the weather I now have a portfolio of images which I hope give an insight into a truely beautiful place.

River Deben, Ramsholt
Ramsholt Moorings


Sunset on the River Deben
Sunset over the River Deben
  
 
Ramsholt Quay
Ramsholt Quay
 All three images above were taken within 100meters of each other but during different seasons and I hope they illustrate the range of different images that a familiar location can produce.
More of my images from this project can be found in the June edition of Digital Photography enthusiast magazine http://www.digpe.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment